Serendipity Smart Giving Technologies Limited incorporated and registered in England and Wales with company number 13080338 whose registered office is at 71-75 Shelton Street, London WC2H 9JQ (Serendipity).
We operate the website getserendipity.co (Website) and the mobile application Serendipity | Smart Giving (the App). These are the terms and conditions which govern the use you make of the donation payment services through the Website and the App.
These Terms and Conditions apply separately to each single donation that you make. If you set up a regular monthly donation, these terms apply for each future or successive transaction also. By confirming on the App that you wish to make a donation, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions for that donation.
1. All donations made through the App will be processed through the payment services provider Stripe. By confirming that you wish to proceed with your donation, you authorise Stripe to request funds from your credit or debit card provider, including on a regular basis if instructed by you.
2. Your donations will be processed by Stripe and will be paid directly to our charitable partner Chapel & York UK Foundation, a charitable company registered in England and Wales with the Charity Commission under registered charity number 1172653 (the Foundation).
3. When you donate to us through the App and if you confirm that you are a UK taxpayer, in accordance with the requirements of the Gift Aid scheme as they apply from time to time, Serendipity will claim Gift Aid on behalf of the Foundation which, as a registered charity, is permitted to receive Gift Aid on eligible donations.
4. The reclaimed Gift Aid will be paid direct to the Foundation by HMRC.
5. The reclaimed Gift Aid will be made available in the App for you to allocate as a new donation according to your Donation Preferences as described in paragraph 17.
6. It is your responsibility to ascertain whether you qualify for Gift Aid entitlement. If you have any doubts about your entitlement for Gift Aid, we recommend you consult your own advisors or HMRC about any accounting, taxation or financial consequences of making a donation that may affect you. Further information on gift aid can be found at https://www.gov.uk/donating-to-charity/gift-aid
Information from you
7. Before we can process a donation you must provide us with (i) your name and email address; and (ii) details of the credit or debit card that you wish to use to fund the donation (iii) the donation amount of any one-off donation you wish to make (iv) the amount and frequency of any regular donation you wish to make (v) the charities or Funds you wish the Foundation to apply your donations to (Donation Preferences). We will use this information to process your donation(s). It is your responsibility to ensure you have provided us with the correct information.
The Foundation’s role
10. Whilst Serendipity facilitates charitable giving by individuals through its App and Website, donations are received and allocated to eligible charitable organisations by the Foundation. The Foundation receives the donations and reviews and distributes grants to qualified charitable organisations in line with your Donation Preferences. This enables us to provide you with a consolidated report of your donations, to facilitate a Gift Aid claim on your total donations, and to simplify the process of distributing your donation to charities while minimising transaction costs.
11. Donations to the Foundation via the App are irrevocable gifts when received and accepted by the Foundation, which retains exclusive legal control over all contributed donations.
12. The Foundation will allocate your aggregated donations in the form of grants to eligible charitable organisations on a quarterly basis.
Eligible charitable organisations
13. As a UK charity, the Foundation must comply with all Charity Commission and HMRC regulations regarding required due diligence on beneficiary charities and acceptable grant purposes. In the UK, organisations must be registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales, Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator, Charity Commission of Northern Ireland, or otherwise recognised as charities under the laws of those jurisdictions, including, for example, ‘exempt’ or ‘excepted’ charities.
14. Grants to charities outside of the UK require additional due diligence to determine the charity’s eligibility to receive grants from the Foundation.
15. All charitable organisations offered as choices for Donor Preferences will be subject to these due diligence checks by the Foundation.
16. Additionally, Serendipity carries out its own due diligence and any charitable organisations offered as Donation Preferences through the App or the Website shall, as a minimum, meet the following basic criteria:-
a. registered charity in the UK or the US only;
b. up to date financial records filed with the appropriate regulatory authority;
c. the charity’s objectives should be in accordance with English charity law, whether a UK or non-UK charity; and
d. be active for a continuous period of at least 3 years.
Donation Preferences and Donation amount
17. Before making any donation, you must use the App to elect either:-
a. the specific eligible charitable organisations; or
b. the thematic purpose of eligible charitable organisations (“Fund”)
you wish the Foundation to allocate your donations to in the form of periodic grants.
18. Each donation made by you (including reclaimed Gift Aid as in paragraph 5) will be gifted by way of one or more onward grant(s) in line with your Donation Preferences, the aggregated total of which will be as follows:
The amount of your donation
payment processing fees (including any applicable VAT)
The Foundation’s 1% administration fee.
With payment processing fees typically below 2% including VAT, no less than 97% of your donation (inclusive of Gift Aid) will therefore typically be granted to eligible charitable organisations in line with your Donation Preferences.
19. Whilst the Foundation will always seek to meet your Donation Preferences, at all times the Foundation’s trustees retain the final decision over the allocation of your donation(s). If they are unable to allocate your donations to the charitable organisations specified or indicated by your Donation Preferences, they will seek to allocate your donations to another charitable organisation whose purposes respect your Donor Preferences intentions, as interpreted by the Foundation.
20. In the event that any donation or part-donation by you cannot be made in line with your Donation Preferences, the Foundation will notify Serendipity of the fact and will provide us with detail of why your donation or part-donation could not be allocated in line with your Donation Preferences. The Foundation will discuss suitable alternatives with us, with the aim of making an allocation in line with your philanthropic intent. We will notify you of the same via an in-App notification.
Serendipity’s operating expenses such as hosting the App and Website, advertising services, processing your Donation Preferences, monitoring the allocation of your donations in line with your Donation Preferences, processing payments, handling of Gift Aid claims, are not covered by your Donation. We invite you to consider leaving a tip, in addition to your Donation, to help us to cover these ongoing expenses of operating the Serendipity platform. Such a tip is entirely discretionary.
22. This clause of the Terms and Conditions applies only to successive donations made through the Website or the App where you have set up a regular donation. When you set up a regular donation you will be scheduling a series of donations to be made, beginning 30 days after you sign up, and then recurring on that same day of each month until further notice. You agree that these Terms and Conditions will apply to each of the donations in that series.
23. By confirming that you wish to proceed with a regular donation you authorise the payment service provider Stripe to request funds from your credit or debit card on the day of each month that you set.
24. To cancel your regular donation, access your profile in the App and select Donation Settings. You will then be able to pause or cancel any upcoming donations.
25. If due to a change in circumstances, your donations are no longer eligible for Gift Aid benefit, you must notify Serendipity of that change in circumstances so we will stop making Gift Aid claims on your behalf. You should do this by accessing your profile in the App and selecting Donation Settings, where you will see a control to prevent Gift Aid being claimed on your donations. You will be liable to refund any Gift Aid incorrectly claimed due to your failure to notify us in a timely manner.
Donation Refund policy
26. The Foundation, in common with all registered charities, is constrained by charity law, which means that they are only able to refund a donation in exceptional circumstances.
27. If you believe that a donation you have made should be refunded, please contact Serendipity within 14 days by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide details as to why you believe your donation should be refunded.
28. We truly appreciate your donations and support and recognise that there may be an occasion when you need to speak to one of our team to discuss your donation. Please email us at email@example.com
Fundraising Code and complaints policy
29. The users of our Website and App, as charitable supporters, are very important to us and to the charities your donations help. We will never place undue pressure on a donor to increase their donation amount or frequency of donations and we will never use manipulation, guilt or exploitation.
30. As a professional fundraiser, we will always comply with the Fundraising Regulator’s Code of Fundraising Practice.
31. We hope you never need to make a complaint, however, if you do, you can view our Complaints Policy here:-
32. We reserve the right to amend these Terms and Conditions at any time.
33. These Terms and Conditions are governed by English law and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.